Dry Herb Vaporizers Selection Guide
Perhaps you are quite influenced by your friends who are in awe of these brand-new and stylish devices – dry herb vaporizers. Maybe you’ve just discovered that vaping is far better than smoking.
You may be curious and want to give this whole dry herb vaping phenomenon a try. However, once you have made a decision to start vaping. However, finding the right dry herb vaporizer can become overwhelming since there are a lot of brands and modes to choose from.
Truth be told, this can be quite confusing if you’re just getting into vaping, but not to worry. This is a comprehensive guide to dry herb vaporizing, and by the end of this article we promise you will know more about the benefits of dry herb vaporizers and their unique features than you did before reading this.
And once you have finished reading, we are sure; you will be able to make your first purchase with confidence.
Let’s get started.
First thing’s first, let’s understand how vaping is different from smoking and what this hype revolving around vaping is all about.
As a matter of fact, smoking combusts/burns your dry herb. While this method does still release the active ingredients of your dry herb (Cannabis), but it also releases various poisonous carcinogens which are quite harmful to your lungs and body.
On the other hand, vaporizers operate below the combustion temperature level and unlike smoking this method does not burn your dry herb, it instead vaporizes the moister within your dry herb along with releasing all its active ingredients and leaving the rest of the cooked dry herb (cannabis) intact. As a result, vaporizing releases fewer toxins, and is comparatively a safer method.
Here are a few advantages that vaping offers over smoking:
- Since vaping vaporizes your dry herb properly instead of combusting it, vaping releases fewer toxins and pose a lower health risk.
- Vaping is more cost-effective over smoking.
- Vaping allows you to truly taste the flavor of your dry herb, as opposed to smoking where all your dry herb’s flavor gets mixed with the smoke.
- Further, vaping is less visible and more odorless.
Now that you have a basic idea of what dry herb vapes are, you need to decide the type of vaporizer is most suited for your needs.
Types of Dry Herb Vaporizers
There are a lot of dry herb vaporizers on the market to choose from which is awesome but at the same time finding the right type of vaporizer with the necessary features is important and can be daunting. It is important to know what you’re looking for in a vaporizer to cater your needs exactly, which can be done with a little bit of research prior to purchasing a vaporizer.
There are two types of vaporizers available in the market, the Portable Vaporizers and the Desktop Vaporizers.
As the name suggests, portable vaporizers are easy to carry around. They can be used on-the-go, all thanks to their compact size and shape which can easily fit in your pockets.
Portable vaporizers run on rechargeable batteries and have smaller chambers (which means they do not produce a lot of vapor). Thus, they are ideal for individual users.
To sum up, portable vaporizers can be described as:
- Small and compact.
- Small chambers and are suitable for individuals.
- Battery operated.
- Very simple and easy to use.
- Low maintenance and needless of assembly prior to use for on the go.
As per their name, desktop vaporizers are larger when compared to portable vaporizers. They are ideal for home use.
Desktop dry herb vaporizers come with larger chambers. Thus, they are capable of producing strong and potent vapors for a more intense vaping session. This type are ideal for vaping with friends and used at gatherings.
To sum up, desktop vaporizers can be described as:
- Large in size.
- Bigger chambers which is great for vape with number of people.
- More complex to use.
- Some desktop vaporizers might need proper assembly before using.
- Since desktop vaporizers are large in size, they are not as convenient and portable as portable vaporizers and are intended for use at home.
Features of Vaporizers
Now, that you know the types of vaporizers, it is essential to know that each vaporizer comes with its own set of features.
Here are a few features that an ideal vaporizer should have:
As already discussed, vaping is all about the right temperature. Thus, it is important that your chosen vaporizer allows you to control the temperature when required. This is particularly important because different dry herbs vaporize best at different temperatures.
As a matter of fact, we would recommend you to vape in a temperature range of 180 to 215 degree Celsius. As a beginner, you should know that right temperature can also impacts the intensity of vapor.
Vaporizing at lower temperatures would produce thinner but flavor-rich vapor. On the other hand, high temperatures would produce thick and harsher vapor.
When it comes to buying a vaporizer, different vaporizers come with different temperature control settings.
Here are a few temperature settings that most companies provide:
Precise temperature control:
In such vaporizers, you can set the temperature precisely to the exact required degree. Such vaporizers have an LCD display from where you can set the required temperature easily.
Vaporizers with such a temperature control provide you better control over your vapor quality.
As the name suggests, such vaporizers do not allow you to adjust the temperature. There is only one temperature that the vaporizer works on. Thus, these vaporizers offer less control over vapor quality.
- Vaporizers with pre-set temperature let you select a temperature from an already available range of pre-set temperatures. These vaporizers use LED lights to display the level of temperature and intensity.
Generally, all vaporizers are based on either of the two heating methods – conduction and convection.
In conduction vaporizers, your dry herb is in direct contact with the heating element in order to cook and vaporize it.
- Conduction vaporizers provide intense flavorful vapor at the beginning of your session and the flavor diminishes as your session continues.
- Conduction method tends to cook your dry herb unevenly and it requires to stir your dry herb every once in a while during your sessions.
- Further, vapor produced with this method can become harsher as the temperature increases.
In convection vaporizers, dry herb is heated by using hot air going through and around your dry herb. This method is similar to cooking something in you home oven whereas the food is heated by hot air instead of being in direct contact with the heating element.
- Vaporizers that use convection for vaporizing dry herbs provide intense flavor throughout the session.
- Convection vaporizers cook your dry herbs more perfectly and evenly.
- Unlike conduction vaporizers, vapor does not become harsh at higher temperature, instead stays smooth throughout your vaping sessions.
- This method is often used by high-end vaporizers.
So which one is better? It all depends on your personal preferences. However, speaking from experience, conduction vaporizers often tend to burn your dry herb, thus releasing some harmful carcinogens along with the vapors but still by far a lot less harmful than smoking.
In addition to conduction and convection, there is another recently formulated method – induction.
This method makes use of a magnetic field to cook the dry herbs and thus produces a stronger and consistent flavor.
- This is a new heating method when compared to conduction and convection which are already used by most of the vaporizer units.
- Induction vaporizers cook the cannabis properly.
- The vapor produced by induction vaporizers is smooth and intense even at higher temperatures.
When you are buying a new vaping device, especially if you are new to this world, you need to get something that is easy and convenient to use. It is highly recommended to buy a vaporizer which is user-friendly and doesn’t require assembly before use.
Therefore, you should start off with a portable vaporizer first as they are easier to use. Once you are more comfortable operating a vaporizer then, gradually make a switch to desktop vaporizers which are a bit complex to handle.
In addition to ease of use, you should also make sure that the vaporizer you choose is easy to clean and maintain as well.
The materials that the dry herb vaporizer is made up of go a long way in dictating your vaping experience. Here are some of the different materials most vaporizers are made up of:
Glass is used in a lot of v as it has a high melting point that proves to be ideal for vaporizers.
- Glass provides flavor-rich and smooth vapor
- It is easy to clean.
- However, glass is fragile and should be handled with care.
Metal, especially stainless steel is another popular component of most vaporizers. Similar to glass, they also have a very high melting point. Additionally, they are very resilient, meaning that they won’t break easily, and are suitable for vaporizers.
- Metals have a high melting point of 1300 degree Celsius.
- Cleaning the metals could be difficult since some of the cleaning chemicals can harm the surface texture and shine.
- Metal is resilient and durable.
- The vapor produced is decent with good quality.
Silicone is another commonly used material in various vaporizers.
- Owing to its high heat resistance, silicone proves to be an effective vaporizer component.
- Silicone is hard to clean.
- The major issue with silicone components is that vapors might have a slight taste of silicone as well initially, which dies with time.
Heat resistant plastics are also used in various vaping devices.
- The melting point for plastics is above 230 degree Celsius
- Since the plastic does not have an effect on the vapor, the flavor is stronger.
- Plastics are strong and robust.
By now, you must have understood the basics of vaporizers, right? As more and more people are getting attracted to vaping, a range of vaporizing accessories have been introduced to the market in attempts to make your vaping session more convenient and pure.
Let’s have a quick look at some of the necessary accessories.
Accessories for vaporizers:
Herb grinders are used to enhance the flavor of your dry herb and produce a more pleasurable vaping experience. As the name suggests, herb grinders crush and grind your dry herbs into smaller pieces before using them in the vaporizer.
This increases the surface area of the dry herbs and produces an intense flavor. In addition to increasing your dry herb surface, the herb grinders also reduce the chances of burning your dry herb.
Stash jars are necessary to keep your cannabis safe and fresh. They come packed with a solid locking lid to protect the dry herbs. Be it heat, sunlight or even moisture, stash jars keep your dry herbs safe so that they can be reused later on, for another session.
Vaporizer cases are important as they help you in carrying your vaping kit in style. Further, they also rule out any possibility of missing an important item here and there.
Vaporizer case comes with a hard covering that completely accommodates all the essential pieces of your vaporizer. Thus, it also protects your device from any wear and tear.
Hopefully this guide can assist you choosing your vaporizer, to read more tips and reviews on how to use your vaporizers be sure to visit our Reviews page and if you’re interested in learning about cannabis and its benefits checkout our Blogs Posts. Follow our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram page or signup to our Newsletter to receive more news, updates and promotions.
For any queries, write to us below in the comments.