DaVinci IQ Vaporizer Review
The DaVinci IQ is a high-end dry herb portable vaporizer. DaVinci was one of the first companies that started putting out modern day portable vaporizers, releasing their first DaVinci Vaporizer back in 2012. Two years later in 2014, the manufacturers put out the DaVinci Ascent, which was highly critically acclaimed. How does the value of the IQ compare to the older models? How much of an upgrade is it, and how does it stack up to other portable vaporizers on the market today? We’ll answer all of those questions and more in this review.
Intuitive and Innovative Temperature Controls
When you’re ready for a session with the DaVinci IQ, you will select between one of two temperature modes – precision or smart path. To get started in either mode, you just open the heating chamber and pack it fully with your dry herbs. Simple. With precision mode, you just pick whatever temperature you want by pressing the up and down buttons.
What sets the DaVinci IQ apart from other models and is a really innovative feature is the Smart Path mode. In this mode, the IQ will ramp up the heat at a slow and steady pace. This mode is ideal for newbies who aren’t sure exactly what temperature range they prefer to vape at. It is also nice for the kind of sessions that you want to gradually increase the strength of your tokes. There are smart paths preprogrammed into the IQ, but you can even make your own with the iPhone or Android app.
Another great feature of the DaVinci IQ when it comes to temperature controls is the boost mode. To have your IQ give a boost of heat, hold in the ON/OFF button. The device will heat up very quickly to its max temp of 222 degrees Celsius. If you are a vape user that wants to make sure no piece of shake is wasted after a session, boost mode is for you.
DaVinci IQ Vapor Quality
The path that the vapor travels down on the DaVinci IQ portable vaporizer is constructed entirely of ceramic, which is extremely unique. This vape path really kicks up the flavor of each thick, delicious cloud. The Zirconia mouthpieces are also a step up from silicone and plastic ones. Like most conduction vapes, you get thicker clouds. Even though the DaVinci IQ is conduction heating, the vapor path doesn’t diminish the taste and terpene profile until the very end of a session or unless it’s at the highest temperatures. For the best possible session with the IQ, use the Smart Path mode.
Davinci IQ Battery
When charged, the IQ’s 3500 mAh 18650 ion battery delivers a solid battery life of 90 minutes, but can take up to four hours to fully charge when using a USB cable. For charging, the unit does come with a Micro-USB port. That time is reduced when using an external charger, but still falls a bit flat in comparison to other models. The batteries are replaceable and the device can be used while charging.
• Arguably the most innovative and user-friendly temperature controls on the market today.
• The unit’s sleek design fits very comfortably in the palm of your hand.
• The IQ comes with an impressive 10-year warranty.
• Vapor path made almost completely from ceramic gives you delicious vape flavor at lower temperatures.
• The IQ’s compact size, customization options and portability make it a good choice if you’re looking to take discreet tokes.
• You will get a solid battery life when using the IQ, lasting for up to 90 minutes of continuous vaping on a single charge.
• This device offers great vapor flavor at the lower temperatures and a solid vapor density.
• Turn the unit on or off and control the temperature with a downloadable app.
• Zirconia mouthpieces are a step up from silicone and plastic ones.
• The battery takes up to 3-4 whole hours to be fully charged when using the USB cable. If you charge the IQ with an external charger, you’re looking at two to three hours – which is still longer than many other vapes on the market.
• The ball that’s attached to the lid of the heating chamber could be lost easily, and getting a new one could be quite difficult.
• The heating element on the IQ can build up pretty quickly with residue and stains, especially if you don’t clean it often enough.
• You can only toke dry herbs with this vape, unlike many other comparable units available on the market today.
The DaVinci IQ is one of the most innovative and impressively user-friendly portable vaporizers on the market today when it comes to temperature controls. For some users, the higher price tag might be justified for the ability to toke on multiple materials at once and for the Smart Path Mode. The discreet and compact nature of the IQ is also an attractive feature. For the newbie who is ready to invest in a vape that wants an impressive, high-end unit that will help them determine their preferred temperature settings, the IQ is a match.
For others, especially those who want to vape concentrates or e-liquids, it’s probably best to look elsewhere. If you’re someone who wants a vape that charges up quickly, the IQ might not be your cup of tea. The intuitive Smart Path mode temperature controls are certainly impressive, but might be a bit confusing to some users. Some vape users love the idea of controlling their device and sessions from a smartphone app, while others are turned off by the idea. It all depends on your individual preferences and lifestyle.
What are your thoughts on the IQ? Do you own one, or know someone who does? If so, what are the best and worst things about it? Let us know in the comments, we love hearing what you think and if you’re looking for a DaVinci IQ be sure to head over to Tools420 vaporizers to get your own today!